Birthstones are precious or semi-precious gemstones that are associated with each month. In each case they are considered lucky for their particular months and for those who believe in such things their healing powers are heightened during these times.
Birthstones have been used since at least the first century as a way to give good luck on one's birthday. Gemstones are associated with each month and each precious stone has designated qualities associated with it.
The Traditional Birthstone list contains older birthstones and is sometimes combined with the modern birthstone list. These stones reflect societal birthstone traditions, heralding back to the 15th century. It can be noted that many jewellers have differing lists of traditional birthstones.
The Mystical Birthstone list is of Tibetan origin from over a thousand years ago. The Ayurvedic Birthstone list is from Ayurvedic Indian Medicine - a type of medicine used for over a thousand years.
|APRIL||Diamond||Diamond||Opal||Diamond||Quartz (Rock Crystal), White Sapphire|
|MAY||Emerald||Emerald||Sapphire||Agate||Chrysoprase, Emerald and Aquamarine|
|SEPTEMBER||Sapphire||Sapphire||Agate||Moonstone||Lapis Lazuli, Diamond, Chrysolite|
|OCTOBER||Opal, Tourmaline||Tourmaline||Jasper||Opal||Pink Tourmaline, Zircon, Aquamarine|
|NOVEMBER||Yellow Topaz, Citrine||Citrine||Pearl||Topaz||Diamond|
|DECEMBER||Topaz, Tanzanite||Turquoise||Zircon, Turquoise||Black Onyx||Ruby|
Each birthstone has its own history, meanings, holistic properties and myths.
- January - Faith, Eternity and Truth
- February - Luck, Wittiness and Health
- March - Happiness and Understanding
- April - Eternity, Courage and Health
- May - Fidelity, Goodness and Love
- June - Peace, Nobility and Beauty
- July - Love, Enthusiasm and Strength
- August - Success, Peace and Love
- September - Serenity and Truth
- October - Purity, Hope, Health
- November - Wisdom, Courage and Sincerity
- December - Love, Happiness and Luck
In the New Testament, 12 foundation stones were given specific qualities related to Christ:
- Jasper - Satisfaction
- Sapphire - The Soul
- Chalcedony - The Truth
- Emerald - Kindness & Goodness
- Sardonyx - Strength
- Sardius - Readiness to ie for the church
- Chrusolite - Excellence of his divine nature
- Beryl - Control of the passions
- Topaz - Uprightness
- Chrysophase - Sterness towards sinners
- Jacinth - Dignity
- Amethyst - Perfection
With summer just around the corner, this article takes a look at the different design options using May and June birthstones
This article looks at the origin of the eternity ring and the most popular styles today
Sapphire may be the birthstone for September but everyone can wear this beautiful stone!